Saturday, May 11, 2013

Candle Holders out of Furniture Legs

Here's an idea for a do it yourself decorating project, diy crafts, or
a handmade gift idea.

I was at the local upholstery store, the other day, when I

noticed a box full of wooden furniture legs. Some were chunky wooden
ones, like you see on contemporary couches and modern chairs, others
are taller and more rounded. I liked the look of the chunky ones,
which are slightly larger at the top (approximately 5 inches square)
than the bottom of the leg, which is about 4 inches square, and stand
about 4 to 5 inches tall. I purchased a couple of these.
 
When I arrived home, I decided to use some mirrors
I've been saving, which are about a quarter inch square, combined
with some metal washers I've been wanting to use.The washers
are square with a hole in the middle for tiny screws.

I lay the mirrors and metal washers on top of one leg, to make
sure they'd fit. I scooted them onto a piece of cardboard,
and put glue along one side of the leg about 1/2 inch wide. I added
the washer first, then a mirror tile, then a washer, until the row
was complete. I repeated this process of adding glue, then
alternating the mirrors and washers, so that they form a checkerboard
pattern. I used tweasers to push them mirrors into place. The mirrors tend
to move around on the glue.

Once I had all the pieces glued, I allowed the glue to set overnight.
The next morning I washed off any excess glue that was on the
mirrors. I bought a small candle, lit it and place it on its new
setting. I'm very pleased with the finished product. This project
is both easy and affordable. I like the look of the shiny mirrors
mixed with the used washers. If you want, you can put
a candle holder jar on top of the wooden leg, for a cool look!

If you don't have access to an upholstery supply store, that
carries furniture legs, you can use a chunky piece of scrap wood,
perhaps from your local carpenter? Just stain or paint the wood,
and add mirrors and metal washers on top. This project
makes home decorating easy.


 

Simple Furniture Leg

Copyright C. 2013 Fuego Phoenix All Rights Reserved 

Add mirrors and metal washers.




Copyright c. 2013 Fuego Phoenix All Rights Reserved

A unique candle holder.



Buy Easy Crafts on a Budget for Kids 4 to 104 here: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Crafts-Budget-Kids-Volume/dp/0615640826

No comments:

Post a Comment