Friday, May 3, 2013

Homemade gesso

Update: Homemade modpodge works!

I am beginning work on a design for a huge canvas painting, which
will be 7 feet high by 11.25 feet wide. I priced Gesso to coat the
canvas,  at the local craft store, it is over $25 a gallon (that's the cheap
stuff). I decided to check for a homemade version of gesso.

Just in case you're not familiar with gesso, it's a binder used on
wood and canvas to hold paint so that the wood grain does not
show through the painting, or so the grain of the canvas does
not show through the paint.

 
Guess what??
I found a couple of recipes.  I'll  share them with you, after
I've created and tested them this weekend.

 This homemade gesso can be sanded, holds paint well,
and costs much less than the gesso you buy in art stores.

I'm in the process of drawing out the design for the canvas.
sewing the canvas pieces together, and then adding the
gesso. It's exciting for me to find out how well
homemade gesso works. I'll report back to you.









No comments:

Post a Comment